Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bongos Take A Bow

Bongos @ Joe's
The Bongos banged out their classic indie album Drums Along The Hudson from begining to end in somewhat spectacular fashion, on my birithday.
WABACIt was almost as if Mr. Peabody had told his boy Sherman to turn the WABAC Machine's dial to 1981. I was struck first with the thought that Richard, looking slim and trim, must have returned to his native Florida to find what had eluded Ponce.



Bongos @ Joe's 2Sheer joy had Rob, with hair grown out to shoulder length and feather in hat, soaring musically and spirititually. Frank, quite dapperly sporting a Moby'ish look was, as a member of our Bday group noted, still a little powerhouse. Standout songs of the night for me were Video Eyes and Certain Harbours. The latter being a rock jazz improv explosion that really allows the band to shine. Modern guitar effects allowed Richard to capture much of the energy that Throbbing Gristle member Cosey Fanni Tutti brought to the original recording.Bongos BowIf the Bongos could grant me a Bday wish it would be an album of songs like this. The trio and a Cosey/Ornette style horn player creating rock music that leans much nearer jazz than pop could be magical.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

I wanted to contact you but couldn't find your email address! We're looking for older photos (from around 1981) of The Bongos for a reissue piece we're doing in our October issue. I came across a few of your older Bongos photos on various websites as well as this blog and I was hoping you could contact me about the possibility of Spin using these for our issue. If you could email me back at photo@spin.com, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Alisa O'Connor
Spin Magazine Photo Desk

3:14 PM  
Blogger salmaas said...

Hi Phil,

Speaking of the way-back machine...

I saw the assemblage of your dBs footage for Neverland. Very nice!

Hope you're well. Just wanted to say hello.

Best,

Steve
myspace.com/stevealmaas

9:02 AM  
Blogger laurie01 said...

I feel so insecure everytime I see artists that plays bongos very well. How I wish I myself knows how to play bongos.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photoblogs.org
View My Profile